Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Getting Started



So, I've decided to start a blog to track the progress of my paintings and share the process with others. I look forward to being able to look back at the blog as a kind of personal journal that may become a way of gaining insight into my own work process.

I've just completed three major paintings and delivered them to The Glave Kocen Gallery. The paintings are now hanging and are being shown tonight at a fundraiser for the Richmond Symphony. These paintings are the result of my work over the past several months and are being added to my website this week.

The painting shown here is entitled "Distant Echoes" and is an image taken from Richmond's Maymont Park, a Victorian manor house and park that was built by industrialist James Dooley in the late 19th Century. It shows a decaying marble and iron gazebo that overlooks the lower portion of the park which contains the oriental gardens. The gazebo is an echo of a past era when lovers met there to talk and express their affections. The landscape suggests a distant river bank where the words and thoughts could echo back to the viewer. The ornate ironwork of the top of the gazebo is particularly intriguing and has held up well over the years. One of my favorite recent paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment